Mommy of Five's Note:
This recipe is simple, homemade and very yummy! If I'd let them my kids would eat this with a spoon. I use this sauce in my cheesy enchilada bake Cheesy Enchilada Bake, and in my layered enchilada bake Enchilada Bake . You can half the recipe if you wish. I have a large family and the amount is just right for us. There is usually a small amount leftover we use this when reheating the enchiladas in the microwave (if there are any left). Don't let the list of ingredients intimidate you it is a really simple recipe, the most time spent is simmering the sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 1/4 cups water
- 3 (4 g) packets beef bouillon granules (Herbox, each packet makes 8 oz. of broth) or 3 (4 g) packets beef bouillon cubes
- 1 (4 g) packet chicken bouillon granules (Herbox, each packet makes 8 oz. of broth) or 1 (4 g) packet chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 10 drops Tabasco sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Hersheys Chocolate Syrup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 3 tablespoons instant minced onion
- 1In a large saucepan over high heat bring water to a boil. Add beef and chicken granules and stir until completely dissolved.
- 2Reduce heat to medium and add Tobasco Sauce, cider vinegar, chocolate syrup and butter. Stir well.
- 3Next add all the dry ingredients and minced onions. Let cook for 10 minutes at a small boil.
- 4Add tomato sauce, stir well.
- 5Whisk in the tomato paste.
- 6Adjust salt, pepper, and sugar if necessary.
- 7Reduce heat to simmer, low, and cover and simmer for half hour to 45 minutes stirring frequently.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Delicious Enchilada Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (136 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 73.2
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 2.6 mg
- Sodium 764.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 2.5 g