Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is simple, homemade and very yummy! If I'd let them my kids would eat this with a spoon. I use this sauce in my cheesy enchilada bake Cheesy Enchilada Bake, and in my layered enchilada bake Enchilada Bake . You can half the recipe if you wish. I have a large family and the amount is just right for us. There is usually a small amount leftover we use this when reheating the enchiladas in the microwave (if there are any left). Don't let the list of ingredients intimidate you it is a really simple recipe, the most time spent is simmering the sauce.
- 4 1⁄4 cups water
- 3 (4 g) packets beef bouillon granules (Herbox, each packet makes 8 oz. of broth) or 3 (4 g) packets beef bouillon cubes
- 1 (4 g) packet chicken bouillon granules (Herbox, each packet makes 8 oz. of broth) or 1 (4 g) packet chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 10 drops Tabasco sauce
- 3⁄4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Hersheys Chocolate Syrup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 3 tablespoons instant minced onion
- In a large saucepan over high heat bring water to a boil. Add beef and chicken granules and stir until completely dissolved.
- Reduce heat to medium and add Tobasco Sauce, cider vinegar, chocolate syrup and butter. Stir well.
- Next add all the dry ingredients and minced onions. Let cook for 10 minutes at a small boil.
- Add tomato sauce, stir well.
- Whisk in the tomato paste.
- Adjust salt, pepper, and sugar if necessary.
- Reduce heat to simmer, low, and cover and simmer for half hour to 45 minutes stirring frequently.