1/2 Photos of Delicious Enchilada Layered Dish
1 hr 10 mins
My family loves enchiladas! This recipe makes them just as yummy but with half the labor! You can substitute canned enchilada sauce and refried beans but making them from scratch makes it so much more delicious! You can also substitute additional water or vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 680.38 g ground beef
- 1 onion, small finely diced
- 35.43 g taco seasoning
- 9 flour tortillas, 10 inch
- 709.77 ml colby-monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 29.58 ml butter or 29.58 ml margarine
- 29.58 ml flour
- 14.79 ml red chili powder
- 7.39 ml cumin
- 9.85 ml garlic powder
- 170.09 g tomato paste
- 118.29 ml chicken broth
- 532.32 ml water
- salt and pepper
- 1To make the REFRIED BEANS: Place the drained beans, butter, salt and green chilies in a food processor and puree until smooth.
- 2To make the ENCHILADA SAUCE: Melt butter/margarine in a sauce pan. Make a roux by browning flour in melted butter/margarine. Add spices and tomato paste; stir until well blended into roux. Add water gradually, stirring constantly. Heat until boiling. Add broth and continue simmering and stirring until desired thickness is achieved.
- 3To make LAYERS: Brown the ground beef with onion, and drain. Prepare with taco seasoning as directed on the package.
- 4Place a thin layer of enchilada sauce at the bottom of a small, rectangular baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- 5Place 3 tortillas in the pan, layering slightly. I cut the edges of the two side ones to better fit the pan.
- 6Spread 1/3 of the refried beans over the tortillas.
- 7Spread 1/3 of the meat over the beans.
- 8Add 1/3 of the sauce.
- 9Add 1/3 of the cheese.
- 10Repeat 2 more times ending with the cheese.
- 11Spray the bottom of a piece of foil and cover the pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until bubbly.
- 12Remove from the oven and allow it to cool for 15 minutes before cutting.
- 13Top individual servings with desired condiments.
Browse Our Top Mexican Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mexican Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Delicious Enchilada Layered Dish
Serving Size: 1 (275 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 481.0
- Calories from Fat 227
- Total Fat 25.3 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 78.9 mg
- Sodium 876.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.5 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 26.9 g