Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This sandwich is so good, I make these all the time for my family. Prepare the egg mixture at least 4 hours in advance, cover and chill. All ingredients can be adjusted to suit taste..a tip, if you don't use the complete jar of pimiento, just pop the whole jar into the freezer and save it for the next time. This is also great served on a bed of lettuce leaves with chopped bacon sprinkled on top and all around, for a luncheon or brunch get together, just decorate with tomato wedges all around the plate. This makes 6 sandwiches.
- 12 slices bacon, cooked and cut in half (can use more)
- 9 large hard-boiled eggs, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 -2 celery rib, finely chopped
- 8 -10 pitted green olives, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pimiento, drained and chopped (I purchase the pimiento in a small jars, it come oil-packed)
- salt and black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise, divided (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 12 slices sandwich bread
- 12 lettuce leaves
- In a bowl combine chopped eggs, about 1/3 cup mayo (or to taste) green onions, celery, olives, pimiento, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper; cover and chill for a minimum of 4 hours.
- To prepare the sandwiches: toast all slices of bread.
- Lightly spread 12 toasted slices of bread with mayo.
- Divide the egg salad between 6 slices of bread.
- Place bacon slices on top of the egg, then lettuce.
- Cover with remaining 6 slices of toasted bread.
- Cut sandwiches diagonally in half, then again making 4 pieces if desired.
My Husband and I enjoyed this recipe. I made it as stated except for the lettuce. It was better the next day. I will make again and again. Thank you for the recipe !
These were great!! I left out the olives and green onions just because of personal preferences (DH doesn't like olives I don't like onions so we compromised and left them both out! lol); but everything else I went by the directions given. Although to make it a bit lighter I used center cut bacon, light mayonnaise, left out a few egg yolks and used low calorie bread. It still tasted wonderful!!! I love that it's something that I, counting calories and hubby, who isn't can both enjoy! Thanks Kitten for a winner of a recipe! I may cut it back some for us next time as it made a LOT for just the two of us, but DH said he was happy to have the leftovers!
Really delicious egg salad. I never tried putting anything crunchy in mine, but I really like it this way, and everything's better with bacon lol :) Thanks for a great recipe!