Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Refried beans out of the can, while generally okay, aren’t very flavorful. I always spike up the flavor this way, and folks have told me that I have to share the recipe so they can get to it. ;) These beans aren’t the dense, flat refried beans you’re used to. They’re lighter and packed with flavor! Use with any dish that calls for refried beans.
- 1 (15 ounce) can refried beans or 1 (15 ounce) can vegetarian refried beans
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground dried ancho chile powder, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup of your favorite salsa
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- cubed monterey jack cheese (optional) or monterey jack pepper cheese (optional)
- Mix all ingredients together and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Use in your tostadas, tacos, or any dish that calls for refried beans.
- For extra-special beans, you can add cubes of Monterey Jack or Pepperjack cheese, spread it into a lightly oiled or buttered pan, and heat through in a 350 degree F oven before serving.
I use this recipe everytime I pop open a can of beans now. It makes plain old beans something special! Thanks.
Great way to jazz up canned beans! I added 1/2 tsp. of garlic salt and 1/2 tsp. chipotle powder, and added crumbled queso fresco , then heated and served with Chicharrones en Salsa Verde (Chicharrones En Salsa Verde)