Recipe by sweetangerines
These diverse cookies use only vegetable oil and no butter, but taste fantastic. Perfect for whether you want a chewy, thick cookie, or a thin crispy cookie! No fancy equipment or ingredients needed!
Top Review by Goodeatin
Love this recipe!!! I am never dealing with softening and beating butter and the mess of cleaning the mixer again. I just hand-mixed these in one bowl and dropped them by TB. My family likes these just as much as the ones I usually make. A few things- I used 3/4 tsp of salt to make up for the absence of butter, and used wheat bran since I didn't have the cereal. Also used 1 1/2 c chocolate chips and subbed 2 TB applesauce for 2 TB oil- last time I made them, they got a little dry the next day. Turned out lovely.
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup egg white (1 egg white)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup tbsps vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 3⁄4 cup crushed all-bran cereal (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Beat the eggs and sugars together. Add the oil and vanilla and mix in thoroughly. Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and mix. Fold in the chips, bran cereal, and coconuts.
- Drop the dough and flatten to desired cookie thickness. If you want big, thick chewy cookies, drop by tablespoons and thicken. If you want thin, crispy cookies drop by heaping teaspoons and flatten to a thinner thickness.
- Bake for 8 minutes. The cookies will firm up as they cool, so do not be tempted to bake them too long.
- This is an original recipe. The first round I made 8 big, thick cookies without coconut. These turned out to be thick, chewy (not cakey) cookies. Then I made smaller cookies (1 teaspoon medium thickness) also without coconut. These turned out to be chewy, cakey like cookies.
- Then I added the coconut and also made big and small cookies. Only this time I flattened the smaller cookies even more. These cookies turned out to be very nice and crispy, almost like chocolate chip crisps.
- Therefore, vary the drop style according to your likes/dislikes!