Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
If you are an apple lover, then this is a must try.. this is delicious!
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup water or 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour (approx)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 lbs apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 white sugar or 1⁄2 brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9 x 12 OR a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, eggs, oil and the orange juice; beat well.
- Combine the flour and baking powder in a small bowl.
- Add to the egg/oil mixture slowly; kneading in the flour to make a soft dough (you might use less than 3-1/2 cups of flour).
- Divide the dough in half.
- Transfer to a lightly floured surface.
- Roll out into a 9x12 rectangle, and place in the bottom of the baking pan (if using a 13x9in pan, roll out the dough to one more inch).
- Top with sliced apples (which have been tossed with 1/2 cup sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon).
- Roll out the remaining dough, and cover the apples with the dough.
- Sprinkle the dough with 2 Tbsp sugar (or more if desired).
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until lightly browned-- delicious.
This is amazing! One of my favourite apple cakes and worth every bit of effort put in:)