Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
I like to make my dressing outside the bird but it always came out dry--until I found this recipe in an old cookbook. It's so moist and delicious who needs the turkey?
- 2 cups diced celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 14 cups toasted bread, cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth (I use 2 chicken cubes and 4 cups water)
- 1 1⁄2 chopped onions
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 (13 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- Toast bread cubes in a 350°F oven until lightly brown.
- Remove from oven and place cubes into an extremely large bowl.
- Cook celery, onion and garlic in margarine until lightly browned.
- Add poultry seasoning, salt and pepper into bread cubes and then add the celery mixture.
- Pour in evaporated milk, broth and eggs; mix very well.
- Pour into a greased 9x13-inch pan.
- Bake at 325°F for 35-40 minutes.