Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I made this recently and it is fabulous, tangy with intense flavor! -- plan ahead the sauce needs to chill for a minimum of 2 hours before serving and may be made up to three days ahead -- the amounts listed will make about 5 cups, if desired you can cut all ingredients in half, minced orange peel may also be added, use 1 tablespoon for a double recipe :)
- 473.18 ml frozen cranberry juice concentrate, thawed
- 158.51 ml sugar, plus
- 29.58 ml sugar (or use more or less sugar to taste)
- 2 (680.38 g) package cranberries (fresh or froze)
- 236.59 ml dried cranberries
- 88.74 ml orange marmalade
- 59.14 ml fresh orange juice
- 2.46 ml allspice
- In a heavy saucepan combine cranberry juice concentrate and sugar; bring to a boil over high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Add in the fresh and dried cranberries; cook until the dried berries begin to soften and the fresh berries begin to pop, stirring often (about 7 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in the orange marmalade, orange juice and allspice; cool completely, cover and refrigerate until cold (about 2 hours).
I'm writing the review so I'll be able to find this recipe easy next Thanksgiving. What a hit! I made this the night before so it would have time to set up. I only made half a recipe and it made quite a bit. I would've had more for the actual Thanksgiving dinner if I hadn't kept sneaking "tastes". Everything was perfect, I did add 1 more tablespoon of orange marmalade, just 'cause I love the flavor. I've never cooked with fresh cranberries before, so this was a new experience. I must say this was the most fun dish I made this year. I loved listening to them "pop" while cooking. Thanks again, Kittencal-you've really got a winner with this one.
Mom and I now have a running tradition of having different cranberry relishes at the holiday meal. Keeps things a little interesting as most of the table is made up off traditional family favorites. This was my pick for Christmas 2007 and will definitely be added to our list of favorites. As promised the cranberry flavor is intense but there are strong notes of orange and allspice that keep it from being flat. Since we tend to like more tang than sweet, I used a little more than a 1/4 cup of sugar in a half batch of the sauce and that was perfect. Thanks!