Recipe by Karen Elizabeth
Found on an advertising flyer, nutritious and full of flavour and texture. Prep time does not allow for the bean preparation, although if you substitute canned beans, then the time stated is the time it will take!
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
We really enjoyed this recipe last night with our ground turkey tacos. Don't be intimidated by the long ingredient list--the prep is very fast and the recipe is easy to make. I subbed a red bell pepper for green, as that is what I had on hand. I used a can of black beans, and used frozen corn, which I blanched. I used a 15 oz can of fire roasted tomatoes. I kept all spice proportions as listed and used a little more cilantro, as we love it. The rice was very moist and flavorful. I enjoyed it again today for lunch. I'd definitely make this again. Thanks for posting.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄3 cups uncooked white rice
- 2 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups corn kernels, blanched
- 1 cup black beans, cooked and drained
- 1 (410 g) canchopped tomatoes with juice (I use a 420 gr can of tomatoees)
- 1⁄4 cup toasted pine nuts
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
Directions See How It's Made
- Beans : Soak for 2 - 4 hours.
- To cook, drain the soaking water and add cold water, 1 part beans to 2 or 3 parts cold water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a very slow simmer, so the beans stay in their jackets. Simmer for 2 hours.
- Lightly toast pine nuts.
- In a heavy saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and the chopped onions; saute for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Mix in the bell pepper, chili powder, chili flakes, cumin, and cinnamon.
- Saute for 2 minutes.
- Pour the rice into the saucepan and stir to coat.
- Add the water and 1 teaspoon salt, and bring the rice to a boil over high heat.
- Cover the pan and turn the heat to low.
- Simmer the rice for 25 minutes.
- When the rice is cooked, mix in tomatoes, corn, black beans, and pine nuts.
- Stir in salt, pepper and lime juice.
- When the mixture is heated through, spoon it onto plates and top with the sliced red onion and cilantro.
- Serve a wedge or two of lime with each plate to squeeze over the rice.