Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
The lemon peel and celery seeds add zip to this healthy slaw. Recipe source: Cooking for Health.
- 1⁄4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 4 cups thinly shredded green cabbage (from about ½ large head)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Whisk yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, lemon peel, and celery seeds in large bowl to blend.
- Add remaining ingredients; toss to coat.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper (Can be made 2 hours ahead).
- Cover; chill.
- Toss before serving.
Wow, the grated lemon rind gives this coleslaw a very special and delicious flavor! I needed to keep this salad non-dairy, so I just used about 1/2 cup of homemade mayo, and used about half carrots and half cabbage. I also used more than the 1 teaspoon of lemon rind called for, I zested a whole small lemon and then used all the juice. We had some friends to lunch, and they had seconds, thirds, even fourths! I will certainly be making this over and over again in the next few months, until Miller presents me with another "find". Thanks Miller, you always do right by me!
This is very good, though I think for our tastes the lemon was a bit much. I added some cider vinegar, salt, and about a teaspoon of sugar, which turned out nicely. Even still, it was a nice low-cal addition to dinner!
Yummy!I omitted the lemon peel,used dried parsley in the sauce,and added a splash of apple cider vinegar because I love it in coleslaw.Oh, and a bit of milk to thin it a little. Thank you!