Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I was searching for a good stuffed bell pepper recipe that I could put in the crock pot and didn't find what I was looking for. I came up with this one and they were absolutely DELICIOUS!
- 5 medium green bell peppers
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup long-grain rice, uncooked
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 8 ounces tomato sauce, basil, garlic and oregano flavor
- 14 ounces tomato sauce
- 4 -6 ounces water
- salt & pepper
- Remove tops of peppers, remove seeds and clean out.
- Place in crock pot so that all 5 peppers stand up right.
- Mix beef, onion, basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, garlic, garlic salt, salt and pepper. (I mixed with my hands).
- Add rice to thicken the mixture.
- Add Worcestershire sauce and 8 oz. can of tomato sauce. (I now mix with a spoon).
- Spoon mixture into each pepper until pepper is full.
- Pour 14 oz. tomato sauce over each pepper and on the side of the peppers (to go in the bottom of the crock pot).
- Add 4-6 oz. water (I used the tomato can to use the rest of the sauce) on the sides of the peppers so that they are sitting in the sauce/ water mixture.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
I've made this recipe twice now - each time for people who swore they didn't like stuffed peppers. I used red peppers because that's what I had, and they worked great. I didn't have lean ground beef - and my advice would be to make sure that you use lean. It got a little greasier than I'd have liked, but they were still delicious.
I love this, I made it with my own twist though...I cooked the rice first, everything turned out amazing, Yay. Thank you for the recipe
My husband just made this recipe, and I found it to be just ok, not as good as I was expecting. First of all, the rice was not cooked - if we make this again we would likely use instant rice, not uncooked long grain as the recipe call for. Also, the peppers were not tender enough for me (my husband thought they were fine, but I like veggies more tender than crisp, and these were more on the crisp side). For my preference, I think maybe roasting them would've been better than the crock pot method. Also it was a bit lacking in flavor, my husband added ketchup while I used Lawry's seasoning salt.