Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
Another veggie family favorite. This can be prepared ahead of time, refrigerated and baked when ready. This is really good with ham. Although I have only made this recipe using frozen beans, I imagine that you could make this using about 3 cans of French-style beans, just omit cooking the beans. Also the 2 cups half and half can be replaced with whole milk, just watch carefully not to scald the milk while cooking.
- 2 (12 ounce) packages frozen French-cut green beans (cooked and well drained)
- 1 (5 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and sliced
- 3⁄4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, coarsley chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup whipping cream (unwhipped)
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- salt and pepper
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a shallow baking dish.
- Saute onion and mushrooms in butter.
- Add in flour; mix well.
- Add in half and half cream (or whole milk if using); stir until thickened.
- Add in ALL remaining ingredients (except beans and slivered almonds).
- Simmer until cheese melts (about 5-6 minutes).
- Add in beans; mix well to combine.
- Transfer to a prepared casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with toasted almonds.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
My family has made this casserole since I was born. I love it! Instead of fresh mushrooms my family uses canned. Im guessing it was something my grandma did as a time saver during the holidays.
Wonderful! I left out the chestnuts and tabasco sauce, still 5 stars. thank you.