Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Another veggie family favorite. This can be prepared ahead of time, refrigerated and baked when ready. This is really good with ham. Although I have only made this recipe using frozen beans, I imagine that you could make this using about 3 cans of French-style beans, just omit cooking the beans. Also the 2 cups half and half can be replaced with whole milk, just watch carefully not to scald the milk while cooking.
Top Review by amber o.
My family has made this casserole since I was born. I love it! Instead of fresh mushrooms my family uses canned. Im guessing it was something my grandma did as a time saver during the holidays.
- 2 (12 ounce) packages frozen French-cut green beans (cooked and well drained)
- 1 (5 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and sliced
- 3⁄4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, coarsley chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup whipping cream (unwhipped)
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a shallow baking dish.
- Saute onion and mushrooms in butter.
- Add in flour; mix well.
- Add in half and half cream (or whole milk if using); stir until thickened.
- Add in ALL remaining ingredients (except beans and slivered almonds).
- Simmer until cheese melts (about 5-6 minutes).
- Add in beans; mix well to combine.
- Transfer to a prepared casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with toasted almonds.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.