Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
If you are a lover of sauerkraut then you will *love* this soup! --- add the croutons they go very well with the soup.
Top Review by iris5555
This is wonderful even with some of the calorie saving changes I made. I used skim milk instead of cream and halved the amount of cheese. I know this would have been even better prepared as written, but it still tasted rich and delicious.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes (optional or to taste)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 lb corned beef, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) canchopped sauerkraut, drained
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated swiss cheese
- 1 cup whipping cream
- salt and pepper
- crouton (to garnish, or use toasted pumpernickel or rye bread cubes)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large Dutch oven melt butter over medium heat; add in the onion, garlic, thyme, tarragon and dried chili flakes (if using) saute for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the broth, corned beef, sauerkraut, shredded carrots and bay leaf; bring to a boil and simmer for about 40-45 minutes.
- In a bowl combine the cornstarch with water until smooth; stir into the simmering soup, boil, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Remove bay leaf, then add in the shredded cheese and whipping cream; stir until the cheese melts.
- Ladle in bowls and top with croutons or toasted bread cubes.