Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
You may use imitation crab in place of the fresh crabmeat due to cost reasons, I have made these using imitation and it was still wonderful --- I have listed a honey-mustard sauce on the bottom to serve with the crab cakes if desired but these are just as good served alone! --- plan ahead there is a 1 hour freezing time.
Top Review by Chris from Kansas
These crab cakes turned out really flavorful. I used imitation crab and added some dry breadcrumbs as they seemed so wet. They still were very delicate, but the seasonings were just right. I added about a tsp. of horseradish too as suggested by others. Thanks for posting!
- 1 lb crabmeat, shredded and picked over to remove shells and cartilage (imitation is okay to use)
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, diced small
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, diced small
- 1⁄4 cup finely shredded carrot
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup diced onion (green onion is okay)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and black pepper
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (not salad dressing)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (for coating)
- vegetable oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl combine all ingredients except the breadcrumbs and vegetable oil; mix until well mixed.
- Form into 3-oz cakes/patties.
- Roll each cake/patty into the bread crumbs.
- Place the cakes in the freezer for 1 hour to set.
- Remove from freezer, and saute on medium heat until each cake is golden brown and heated through.
- For the Honey-Mustard sauce; combine 1 cup mayonnaise with 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder, 2 tablespoons honey and pinch cayenne peper; mix and chill until ready to use.