Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
My family loves this soup, it's very filling so you might just want to serve this as a main meal with crusty bread and maybe a small side salad, the cayenne is optional I like to add it in :)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (I use two)
- 4 tablespoons butter (can use a little less)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans cream-style corn
- 4 cups whole kernel corn, canned is fine
- 4 potatoes, peeled and diced (or use as many as desired)
- 1 (14 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 3 cups half-and-half or 3 cups whole milk
- 1 small medium green bell pepper, seeded chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled (or to taste)
- salt & fresh ground pepper (to taste, I use seasoned salt)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional or to taste)
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a saucepan sauté onion and garlic in butter for about 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add cream-style corn, corn kernels, potatoes, soup and canned mushrooms.
- Stir in half and half.
- Add green and red bell peppers.
- Season with salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper (if using).
- Simmer for 45 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Garnish with cooked bacon then sprinkle with parmesan cheese if desired.
I am on a quest for the perfect corn chowder and saw this recipe. I have to admit I was skeptical when I saw the cream of soup listed, but decided to make it anyway, because it's one of Kitten's recipes and hers usually get such great reviews. I did leave out the peppers, as we don't care for them, and left out the cayenne and garlic, just because I didn't think I would like it in this particular recipe. I did like the amount of bacon, but there weren't nearly enough potatoes for us. It was kind of a disappointment for us. I guess I will keep looking. Thanks for sharing!
Kitten, I can clearly see why this is a favorite of your faimily.. the taste is so good it's undiscribeable.. made exactly per your recipe.. I don't know who likes it more dh or me.. made for dinner tonite at 9:30 this morning and yes I eat some then also.. don't know why I hadn't seen this recipe before now. It will be made often.
Absolutely loved this soup! Used whole kernel instead of cream style for texture, but the end result was delicious! Also used the pepper mix, red green, yellow slices insted of the fresh ones but what the heck! This is a good thick soup and I will serve it in bread bowls next time I make it!!