Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
These corn pancakes are one of my most favourite comfort foods. The creamy paprika mayonnaise is the perfect accompaniment, adding a 'zing' to the dish. This recipe makes 4 large fritters, or 10 small ones.
- 1 (420 g) can corn, drained
- 1 small diced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 cup flour (preferably wholemeal)
- 1 egg
- 1 small chili (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh herb (parsley, oregano, sage, etc.)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon dry compressed yeast
- oil, to cook
- 1⁄2 cup whole-egg mayonnaise (preferably home-made)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove (chopped)
- Place all ingredients, except flour, into a bowl, breaking up the egg and mixing well.
- Add enough flour to produce a pancake-type batter. Mix well.
- Leave to rest for 1 hour to allow the yeast to do its thing.
- In a hot pan, add a little oil, and spoon batter in as to achieve the size pancake you most prefer. Repeat, stacking the fritters on a plate as you cook them to keep warm, storing in a warm oven if possible.
- Put all mayonnaise ingredients in a bowl, and mix well.
- Serve fritters with a large dollop of mayonnaise on the side.