janice brady's Note:
I saw this recipe on the Paula Deen show. It looked really yummy. It's basically easy to make but time consuming. My family loved it. They have already requested for me to make it again.jb
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- butter, for dish
- French bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 (13 1/2 ounce) cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 13 1/2 ounces cream of coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pinch mace
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut, plus garnish
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
- 1Lightly butter the bottom of a 9" flameproof baking dish. Arrange the bread cubes evenly in the dish. In a large bowl, whisk together the yolks, whole eggs,coconut milk, cream of coconut, salt, nutmeg and mace.
- 2Stir in one cup of flaked coconut.
- 3Pour the custard mixture over the bread cubes, pressing the bread cubes gently to soak up the custard. Let the mixture stand (covered in foil) for one hour in the refrigerator.
- 4Preheat oven to 325.
- 5Sprinkle the top of the pudding with the remaining 1/2 cup of coconut flakes.
- 6Again, cover the baking dish with foil, poking a few holes in the top to release the steam.
- 7Put the baking dish into a roasting pan on the oven rack, pour hot water to come up halfway up the sides of the baking dish.
- 8Bake until pudding is firm to the touch, approximately one hour and 15 minutes.
- 9Remove the foil and bake of 15 minutes more.
- 10Remove the baking dish from the water bath and put baking dish under the broiler, about 4 inches from broiler until golden, approximately 1 to 2 minutes.
- 11Let pudding cool completely. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- 12Pour the sauce over individual pudding servings (if desired) than top with toasted coconut.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Delicious Coconut Bread Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (260 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 596.4
- Calories from Fat 494
- Total Fat 54.9 g
- Saturated Fat 46.3 g
- Cholesterol 196.3 mg
- Sodium 255.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 17.5 g
- Protein 9.0 g