Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A delicious, slightly lower fat recipe that is perfect for those who need to follow a lactose-free diet. Even the kids loved it!
- 2 small potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 (6 ounce) cans minced clams, drained, juice reserved
- 1 large cod fish fillet, cubed (or 2 small)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
- 6 cups whole milk, lactose free
- In small saucepan, mix vegetables with clam juice and boil until veggies are tender.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in larger pan, then add flour slowly and whisk until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 4 minutes over low heat. Slowly whisk in milk. Heat to simmer, uncovered., stirring often.
- Add cod and cook for 5 minutes.
- Next, add veggies and clams and cook for about 15 minutes or until chowder is thickened a bit, stirring often. Add more salt and pepper if necessary.