Somehow, just the scent of cinnamon rolls bring to mind a warm and cozy house. I had a real estate agent tell me to bake something with cinnamon when showing my house. Cinnamon is comforting, so get comforting! Prep time and servings will vary. These two are guestimated.I almost forgot, I sold my house! Sometimes I add a little maple flavoring or orange juice to my icing, just for something different.
For the rolls
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 3 1⁄3 cups bread flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons bread machine yeast or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fast rising yeast
For the filling
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup nuts, lightly toasted, chopped
For the icing
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Add the ingredients to bread machine as recommended by manufacturer. Program for the bread cycle. When cycle is done, place dough on floured surface. Knead dough about 1 minute, then let rest for 15 minutes.
- Roll dough into a rectangle, about 15x10-inches. Spread 1/4 cup melted butter over dough to within 1 inch of edges. Then sprinkle 1/4 cup sugar, the cinnamon, nutmeg, and chopped nuts evenly over dough. Roll dough up tightly on long side. Press edges to seal and form into a 12-inch long, evenly shaped roll. With a knife or 8-inch long piece of dental floss, cut roll into 1-inch pieces.
- Place rolls cut side down into a greased 13x9 inch baking pan. Cover and let rise in warm, draft free place until doubled in size, about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on rack for 10 to 15 minutes. While the rolls are cooling, make the icing by combining powdered sugar with 1 to 2 tablespoons milk and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla. Blend until smooth. If too thin, add more powdered sugar, too thin, add more milk, until desired consistency is reached.
- Cut apart and remove from pan.