2 hrs 25 mins
1 hr 25 mins
A delicious apple pie, worth the effort. I can't remember who gave me this recipe, but it is so good I just had to share it! I hope you enjoy it as much as my family did :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup frozen vegetable shortening, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons ice water (or more)
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 1/4 lbs granny smith apples, peeled, cored, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1For crust:
- 2Mix flour, salt, and sugar in large bowl. Add butter and shortening; rub in with fingertips until coarse meal forms. Mix 3 tablespoons ice water and vinegar in small bowl to blend. Drizzle over flour mixture; stir with fork until moist clumps form, adding more water by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry. Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 3Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400°F Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 12-inch round. Transfer to 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish. Trim overhang to 1/2 inch; turn edge under and crimp decoratively. Refrigerate while preparing filling and topping.
- 4For filling:
- 5Mix all ingredients in large bowl to coat apples.
- 6For topping:
- 7Blend first 5 ingredients in processor. Add chilled butter cubes; using on/off turns, cut in until mixture resembles wet sand.
- 8Toss filling to redistribute juices; transfer to crust, mounding in center. Pack topping over and around apples. Bake pie on baking sheet until topping is golden, about 40 minutes (cover top with foil if browning too quickly). Reduce oven temperature to 350°F Bake until apples in center are tender when pierced and filling is bubbling thickly at edges, about 45 minutes longer.
- 9Cool until warm, about 1 hour.
- 10Serve with ice cream.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Delicious Cinnamon Crumble Apple Pie
Serving Size: 1 (289 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 570.3
- Calories from Fat 218
- Total Fat 24.3 g
- Saturated Fat 12.8 g
- Cholesterol 45.7 mg
- Sodium 299.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 57.6 g
- Protein 3.8 g