Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 9 ounces dark semi-sweet chocolate, melted
- 2 cups ground almonds
- 4 eggs, separated
- 4 ounces white chocolate, melted,to decorate
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Grease a deep 8 inch springform cake tin, then line the base with greaseproof paper and grease the paper.
- Place 1/2 a cup of the butter and all the sugar in a mixing bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add two-thirds of the dark chocolate, the ground almonds and the egg yolks and beat until they are evenly blended.
- Whisk the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until stiff.
- Fold them into the chocolate mixture, then transfer to the prepared tin and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Leave the cake in the tin for about 5 minutes, then turn out on a wire rack, peel off the lining paper and leave to cool completely.
- Place remaining butter and remaining melted dark chocolate in a saucepan.
- Heat very gently, stirring constantly, until melted.
- Pour over the cake, allowing the topping to coat the sides.
- Leave to set for at least an hour.
- To decorate, fill a piping bag with the white melted chocolate and snip the end.
- Drizzle all around the edges to make a squiggly double border.