Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is the perfect chilli con carne recipe. Lovely with basmati rice. It will set your taste buds a light with the flavours. I promise this is one of the best carne recipes you'll try
- 1 large onions or 2 banana shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, chopped
- 2 sprig fresh thyme, leaves picked and roughly chopped
- olive oil, for frying
- 500 g good quality beef mince
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 9.85 ml sweet paprika
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 3 fresh tomatoes or 1 beef tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 100-200 ml chicken stock or 100-200 ml beef stock
- 44.37 ml tomato puree
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 400 g kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper
- boiled cooked rice, to serve
- Sweat the onion, garlic, chilli and thyme in 2 tablespoons oil in a large saucepan. At the same time, brown the mince in a separate pan over moderate heat in a little oil.
- Add the dried spices to the onion mixture and cook until they release their aroma. Then stir in the beef and mix well. Add the fresh and tinned tomatoes and leave to cook down a little for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken or beef stock and stir in tomato puree to taste. Drop the cinnamon and bay leaf in then bring to the boil and leave to simmer.
- Once the sauce is beginning to thicken add the kidney beans and leave to cook for another 5-10 minutes to allow the beans to soak up the flavours. Check for seasoning.
- Serve over steaming hot rice.
I followed this recipe exactly. It was the most sophisticated and delicious chilli I have ever had! This one is a keeper!
I made this for my family the other night it was fabulous even though I didn't have the cinnamon stick and I used chilli powder as I didnt have a fresh chilli (its easier to control the heat for my children too) Thank you for posting this very tasty chilli recipe .