Recipe by Canadian in Minnesota
Once Fall turns to Winter, I love curling up with a hot bowl of soup and a good book with the snow falling outside. This soup is a twist on the traditional chicken noodle but simple & easy. If you plan on stretching this beyond one meal, add the lime juice to your bowl rather than in the entire pot. Edited to add: I made this over the holidays and for spice, used a can of diced tomatoes with Southwest seasoning and a can of Rotel with cilantro and lime. Very spicy!
Top Review by PatrickG
My boyfriend thought this was really great, and he's pretty hard to please. When I told him it was low calorie and low fat, he was very surprised. It was a little too bland for my taste. Next time will add some spice and seasonings.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 4 ounces green chilies (I usually buy canned)
- 5 cups chicken broth (if you want it thicker, reduce to 4 cups)
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice (I use wild rice)
- 10 ounces whole or diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 5 ounces chicken breasts, cubes (about 2 large)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- low-fat tortilla chips