Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe came from a girl I work with!
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 lime
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 poblano peppers, chopped into 1/4 ",pieces and seeded
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 (8 ounce) carton whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- thyme, to taste
- Shake pepper and thyme on chicken breasts.
- Melt butter in skillet and brown the chicken (do not cook all the way thru because you are still going to put it in the oven).
- Set aside in a baking dish and preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a saute pan, melt butter and saute onion and poblano peppers till soft.
- Take 3/4 of the onion and pepper mixture and place in blender along with a dash of salt.
- Add sour cream and whipping cream to reach a thick consistency (about 1/4 of the carton).
- Turn on blender and puree, leaving some of the texture- set aside.
- Place chicken breasts in a baking dish, squeeze lime juice on each breast, then pour the pureed mixture over them.
- Take the remainder of the peppers and onion and place them on top of the chickens.
- Cover the top with cheese and lightly sprinkle thyme on top of everything.
- Place in the oven uncovered for 25 minutes- the cheese will be starting to brown by then.
- Serving suggestion: With rice!
This recipe is delicious! I didn't really have the problem with things separating but I wonder if it has to do with the butter. It tasted really good with cilantro on top after it was done baking!
This was wonderful!!! It is a new favorite for me! I served it over Pobano Rice (Recipe #107843) and it was perfection. The sauce did seperate as other have said, but it tasted too good to care. Thanks for posting!!
As the other reviewer stated the sauce separates, I wonder if this is due to the lime juice. The lime juice gives a nice flavor so I'd like to try and work with the recipe to figure out the right consistency.