Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe came from a girl I work with!
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 lime
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 poblano peppers, chopped into 1/4 ",pieces and seeded
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 (8 ounce) carton whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- thyme, to taste
- Shake pepper and thyme on chicken breasts.
- Melt butter in skillet and brown the chicken (do not cook all the way thru because you are still going to put it in the oven).
- Set aside in a baking dish and preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a saute pan, melt butter and saute onion and poblano peppers till soft.
- Take 3/4 of the onion and pepper mixture and place in blender along with a dash of salt.
- Add sour cream and whipping cream to reach a thick consistency (about 1/4 of the carton).
- Turn on blender and puree, leaving some of the texture- set aside.
- Place chicken breasts in a baking dish, squeeze lime juice on each breast, then pour the pureed mixture over them.
- Take the remainder of the peppers and onion and place them on top of the chickens.
- Cover the top with cheese and lightly sprinkle thyme on top of everything.
- Place in the oven uncovered for 25 minutes- the cheese will be starting to brown by then.
- Serving suggestion: With rice!
This recipe is delicious! I didn't really have the problem with things separating but I wonder if it has to do with the butter. It tasted really good with cilantro on top after it was done baking!
This was wonderful!!! It is a new favorite for me! I served it over Pobano Rice (Green Poblano Rice) and it was perfection. The sauce did seperate as other have said, but it tasted too good to care. Thanks for posting!!
As the other reviewer stated the sauce separates, I wonder if this is due to the lime juice. The lime juice gives a nice flavor so I'd like to try and work with the recipe to figure out the right consistency.