Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a very tasty chicken dish, and easy to throw together. I have made this for myself and DH, so it will serve 2-3 hungry people, it's the perfect meal for a smaller family. This whole dish is prepared in an extra large frypan on top of stove, but if desired you may place the frypan in the oven (at 325 degrees) to cook the rice and chicken, just be certain to use an oven-safe frypan with lid. If you do not have a large enough frypan, just use a non-stick larger size pot. Although I have only prepared this recipe using the stated amounts, I am guessing that this may be doubled successfully, maybe 2 cups rice with 5 cups of broth, with 2 cans of diced tomatoes.
Top Review by J-Lynn
This is good; didn't seem to have a lot of flavor, so I added some Mrs. Dash Tomato Basil seasoning. I didn't have any capers, so didn't use them. I halved the recipe for the 2 of us, and even that made enough for 3. The smaller amount didn't take as long to cook, either.
- 2 lbs bone-in chicken legs with thigh
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, coarsley chopped
- 3 -4 fresh minced garlic cloves (or to taste)
- 1 cup chopped celery (optional)
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) diced tomatoes
- 3 cups good quality chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons capers (or to taste)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 14 -15 green Spanish olives (with pimento, or to taste)
- 3⁄4-1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted peppers, strips
Directions See How It's Made
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Brown chicken in an extra large frypan (with a tight-fitting lid) on all sides; remove to a plate.
- In the same frypan, Saute onion, garlic and chopped celery (if using).
- Stir in rice; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add in diced tomatoes (with juice) chicken broth, capers and cayenne pepper; mix to combine.
- Place and press the browned chicken down into the liquid.
- Cover the pan with lid.
- Bring to a slow simmer; reduce heat to very low.
- Cook until rice is tender (about 30-40 minutes).
- Add/stir in the olives and peas with a wooden spoon.
- Arrange the roasted pepper strips on top of the rice.
- Cover pan again for about 3-5 minutes, or until peas are hot.