Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This recipe for the Russian classic comfort food is based off the recipe from a cookbook I found a couple years ago. Every time we make it, it comes out beautifully. The herb butter gives it a delicate yet pungent flavor. I hope you enjoy it!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley flakes or 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon tarragon (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil
- Place each piece of meat between separate folded sheets of wax paper and smash with the back of a saucepan (or whatever you can find) until thin and about twice as wide.
- Remove paper and sprinkle both sides of the meat with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, mash butter with a fork and stir in garlic, parsley, cayenne pepper, and tarragon; divide into 4 equal parts.
- Beat the eggs well and put the egg bowl side by side with the bowl of bread crumbs.
- Place a piece of meat on a flat surface, put one part of the herb butter mixture on the chicken breast's wider end; fold each side over the butter and roll up tightly. Secure with toothpicks, if necessary.
- Dip the piece of chicken into the eggs, coating thoroughly and then in the breadcrumb mixture, repeat once; set aside.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 for the remaining three chicken breasts.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large frying pan, heat one inch of vegetable oil on medium low heat; carefully place chicken pieces in the pan and fry turning frequently until meat turns golden brown.
- Remove from pan and set on a baking sheet or pan. Roast for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through (cut through the largest piece to check for doneness).
- Just before serving, pierce chicken to let butter run out.
- Serve with potatoes or a hearty rye bread and enjoy!
Wow! this was a hit! it had an excellent flavor, and everyone loved it. the chicken came out perfectly.