Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This chicken fricassee recipe has wine and sour cream and mushrooms. I suggest serving this over wild rice. Yummy!
- 12 pieces skinless chicken
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup white wine (optional)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1⁄4 cups nonfat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Brown chicken over high heat in a deep saute pan or dutch oven coated with nonstick spray.
- Remove chicken to a platter.
- Add onion, mushrooms, and garlic to same pan and cook for at least 3 minutes, or until vegis are soft.
- If you are using wine, add it now and cook over high heat 1 minute.
- Add 3 cups of broth, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Combine the cornstarch with the remaining cup of broth mixing thoroughly.
- Add to pan and stir until broth thickens slightly.
- Return chicken to pan and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Removed from heat and add the spices and sour cream.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
We all thought this was a tasty weeknight meal. The only thing was I wasn't sure exactly how much chicken (i.e. lbs) or whether you used light or dark meat. I used three lg boneless, skinless breasts I pounded and cooked for only about 10 mins. Also for me, 4 Tablespoons of cornstarch turned my gravy into sludge. I scooped out about 1/2 and added another cup of water. Next time I would start with 2 Tbls and go from there. We did enjoy the flavor however and I liked that it could all be done on the stovetop. Thanks for posting!
Made for Zaar Alphabet Soup Tag game. This was very very good. I cut the recipe in half and used boneless chicken thighs and added the wine (optional). Served over noodles and we definately had enough fur lunch the next day. Thank you!
We loved this. I cut the recipe in half. I used 1/2 tsp of chopped onion and I didn't have any thyme. I also used an extra cup of chicken broth as we like a lot of gravy. I also didn't add the sour cream as we loved the gravy as is. I also didn't add the optional parsley. I used boneless skinless chicken breasts and cut them up. I served this over brown rice. We had a good bit left over so I gave the leftovers to my parents and they loved it too. This will be made again but next time I think I will try it over noodles as hubby isn't a huge rice fan. Loved that this was made with ingredients I normally have on hand. It was easy to make. Very yummy!