Recipe by BecR
Deelish!! Wonderful combination of flavors that makes a tasty and satisfying lunch or quick dinner. Great use of leftover chicken or canned chicken breast. I hope you enjoy these chicken salad sandwiches as much as we do. Tip: If you don't have access to fresh lovage, use triple the amount of fresh celery leaves.
Top Review by Debbwl
Substantial sandwich with a tantalizing balance of flavors! I did cut the recipe in half and got two very good size sandwiches that held DH and I through the afternoon and well into the evening. We loved the avocado chicken combo, did appreciate that you suggested celery leaf as a substation for lovage and did use the celery leaf option. Also appreciated that you said Swanson's White Premium Chunk Chicken Breast worked well as that was the other option I used. We will be enjoying this again, thanks for the post.
- 3 cups cooked chicken, cubed (or use two 12.5 ounce cans Swanson's White Premium Chunk Chicken Breast, well drained)
- 1 ripe firm tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh lovage, leaf finely chopped (or fresh celery leaf)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon snipped fresh marjoram
- 1⁄8 teaspoon onion powder, to taste
- salt and pepper (optional)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup good quality mayonnaise
- 2 firm ripe avocados, cubed
- 8 slices fresh white bread, lightly toasted
- lettuce (optional)
- sliced cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl, stir together the drained chicken chunks, chopped tomato, lovage or celery leaf, snipped marjoram, onion powder, lemon juice, and mayonnaise.
- Fold in the avocado cubes, stirring gently to combine.
- Spread equal amounts on the toasted bread and make a sandwich.
- Add a lettuce leaf or slice of cheese, as desired. Enjoy!
- Tip: Cover and refrigerate any leftover chicken salad for up to three days.