Tired of super salty, quick-prep chicken and dumplings, my hubby and I set out to create a simple homemade version. In 2004 we came up with this, and we've been making it (to rave reviews from guests) ever since! Straight forward and simple, the trickiest part is remembering to put the flour and milk in AND remove the Bay Leaf. We hope you enjoy this "comfort food" as much as we do!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken, boneless skinless breasts, cut into one-inch cubes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 cups vegetable broth (or water)
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, freshly cracked
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 5 carrots, sliced
- optional chopped fresh broccoli
- optional 3 Tablespoons, fresh snipped parsley
- optional corn (fresh or frozen)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 14 ounces Pillsbury Grands refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (8 biscuits)
- 1Heat oil in Dutch oven (or a nice big pt that you have a lid for) on medium high heat, add cubed chicken and garlic. Stir; cooking until chicken is white.
- 2Add broth, bouillon, salt, pepper, bay leaf, and fresh vegetables to create a stew. Bring to a boil.
- 3Reduce heat on stew; simmer on low, covered, 30 minutes, or until chicken and vegetables are tender.
- 4While stew simmers, open biscuits and set out on a plate (to rise) or make your own biscuits.
- 5In separate container, mix flour and milk. After 30 minutes of simmering, remove bay leaf from broth, then whisk flour and milk into broth on stove. Stir well.
- 6Add biscuits to top of stew. Cover and continue cooking on low heat 15 minutes.
- 7Let stand a few minutes before serving.
- 8VARIATION: Make homemade or Biquick biscuits instead of canned.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Delicious Chicken and Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (498 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 701.0
- Calories from Fat 335
- Total Fat 37.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 81.9 mg
- Sodium 1867.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 12.8 g
- Protein 28.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: