Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Tired of super salty, quick-prep chicken and dumplings, my hubby and I set out to create a simple homemade version. In 2004 we came up with this, and we've been making it (to rave reviews from guests) ever since! Straight forward and simple, the trickiest part is remembering to put the flour and milk in AND remove the Bay Leaf. We hope you enjoy this "comfort food" as much as we do!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken, boneless skinless breasts, cut into one-inch cubes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 cups vegetable broth (or water)
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, freshly cracked
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 5 carrots, sliced
- optional chopped fresh broccoli
- optional 3 Tablespoons, fresh snipped parsley
- optional corn (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 14 ounces Pillsbury Grands refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (8 biscuits)
- Heat oil in Dutch oven (or a nice big pt that you have a lid for) on medium high heat, add cubed chicken and garlic. Stir; cooking until chicken is white.
- Add broth, bouillon, salt, pepper, bay leaf, and fresh vegetables to create a stew. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat on stew; simmer on low, covered, 30 minutes, or until chicken and vegetables are tender.
- While stew simmers, open biscuits and set out on a plate (to rise) or make your own biscuits.
- In separate container, mix flour and milk. After 30 minutes of simmering, remove bay leaf from broth, then whisk flour and milk into broth on stove. Stir well.
- Add biscuits to top of stew. Cover and continue cooking on low heat 15 minutes.
- Let stand a few minutes before serving.
- VARIATION: Make homemade or Biquick biscuits instead of canned.
Excellent stew! I made this as written and added a little sprinkle of Old Bay Seasoning. I don't think my big pot was good / hot enough, it didn't properly cook the room temp biscuits. I ended up dumping the biscuits and opening another can of Pillsbury Grande Buttermilk and sticking them in the oven. Will be making again!
I loved this - thanks so much for posting! I've been searching for an easy chicken stew and this one definitely fit the bill! I made one variation - added a bunch of tarragon - maybe 1 TBL. I also boiled after adding the flour / milk mixture. This was really good and we'll be making this many many times again. Thanks NOTE: I made my biscuits separate in the oven...
excellent confort food. dh loved it thanks