Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Ordering pizza in may be convenient but making it from scratch always seems to taste better. For those of you who like the more traditional pizzas, give this one a try and you will be pleasantly surprised.
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons yeast
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 dash salt
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash salt
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken
- 4 diced mushrooms
- 1 diced sweet onion
- 1⁄4 diced green pepper
- 1⁄4 diced red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup diced pineapple (optional)
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- PIZZA DOUGH FIRST STEP: Dissolve sugar in warm water and sprinkle yeast over top; set aside for 10 minutes.
- ALFREDO SAUCE: Melt margarine (I prefer using Becel) in a saucepan and add crushed garlic. Stir in milk, starting with a little to make certain there are no lumps, and then add the remainder. Stir until it begins to thicken and then add the cayenne pepper, cumin, onion powder and salt and pepper (If available I also add a teaspoons of Watkins Jalapeno Dip powder). Remove from heat; set aside.
- PIZZA DOUGH SECOND STEP: Stir in salt and oil to yeast mixture. Stir in 3/4 cup of flour, and then stir in 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour and ground flax seed and work into a ball. If the dough feels sticky, add a small amount of white flour; set aside.
- TOPPINGS STEP ONE: Saute' vegetables and diced cooked chicken in 1 tsp canola oil.
- PIZZA DOUGH THIRD STEP: Spray pizza pan with a cooking spray (i.e. Pam) and coat with 1- 2 tsp oil. With palm of hand, work pizza dough to cover pizza pan and about 1/2-inch beyond the pan.
- TOPPINGS STEP TWO: Pour thickened sauce over dough, then sautéed vegetables and chicken. Add pineapple. Turn the outer edge of the pizza dough over the toppings (about 1/2 to 1 inch over). This will prevent the sauce from spilling into the oven and also will give the dough a stuffed effect. Mix the grated cheeses and put on top.
- Put in oven and immediately turn down the temperature to 400°F.
- Bake for 15 minutes, and then if you are able, remove pizza from pan and continue to cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove pizza from oven and let stand for 5 minutes before cutting it.
I thought this was really good pizza... I had to add a little extra milk to the sauce. I did not use the dough recipe, but used one of my own. BTW, I just made the sauce like a white sauce--make a roux with the butter and flour, then slowly add the milk and spices.
A really good pizza. It did have a little too much cumin. The second time I made it I used 1/4 tsp cumin and 1/2 tsp onion powder. Also used 1 cup of milk instead of 3/4 cup and everyone loved it.
This was okay. I think there was alittle bit to much cumin though but other than that it was pretty good. I think it also would have been eaiser of the ingridents were listed in the order that they were used. To make the sauce I put the milk and flour in a cup with a lid to mix it together to prevent lumps. Mine was also done in 20 minutes instead of 25.