Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Throw this together the night before so it will be ready to pop in the oven the next morning, this makes a great weekend brunch! Italian sausages may be used in place of small breakfast sausages. For extra heat add in some cayenne pepper! Plan ahead this needs to chill for 8-24 hours.
Top Review by cooking-BAG
Served this to 5 growing boys and it was a real hit.The only thing I did different was to use turkey
sausage and I used french bread...Thanks so much for the easy keeper. I will definately do this one many times over.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs small pork breakfast sausage (casings removed)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 10 slices white bread (cubed, use day-old bread)
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half cream (or use full-fat milk)
- 1 teaspoon white salt (or use seasoned salt)
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Cook the pork sausage meat with onion in a skillet until well browned, breaking up meat while cooking, drain fat; set aside.
- Spread the bread cubes evenly into the baking dish, then sprinkle the shredded cheese over the bread.
- Sprinkle the cooked sausage meat over the cheese.
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs with milk, salt, dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce and black pepper; pour evenly over the mixture in the baking dish.
- Cover and chill for 8-24 hours.
- Let stand 30 minutes at room temperature before baking.
- Sprinkle top with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Set oven to 350 degrees and bake for 45 minutes or until set.
- Let stand 5 or more minutes before slicing.