Prep 50 mins
Cook 45 mins
If your alfredo sauce already has garlic in it you can omit the fresh garlic, and you can also make this with cooked turkey. If you like more sauce then double up on the amounts, to save time you can prepare the sauce well in advance, this is very good!
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked
- 4 cups cooked chopped chicken
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, divided (can use more)
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 (10 ounce) jar alfredo sauce (or use your own favorite recipe)
- 1 (7 ounce) jar diced pimentos, undrained
- 1 (6 ounce) can sliced mushrooms (or use fresh sauteed)
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon basil (or to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and hand-squeezed dry
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, finely shredded (optional)
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- salt and black pepper
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- For the sauce; in a skillet melt butter over medium heat.
- Add in onion and saute for about 5 minutes, adding in the garlic the last 2 minutes.
- Stir in the undiluted cream of chicken soup, alfredo sauce, pimientos with juice, mushrooms, white wine and basil; simmer over low heat for about 15-20 minutes.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste (you can prepare the sauce well in advance if desired).
- Set about 1 cup of the sauce aside for the top of the noodles (if doubled the sauce then set aside 2 cups).
- For filling mixture; In a bowl mix together the drained chopped spinach, cottage cheese, ricotta, garlic powder, Parmesan cheese, egg, and mozzarella cheese (if using) season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Place 3 cooked lasagna noodles in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Layer with HALF of the sauce (not the 1 cup of reserved sauce, that will go on top of the casserole).
- Then half of the spinach mixture and then HALF the chicken, then about 1 cup of cheddar cheese (you can use more cheese if desired).
- Place 3 lasagna noodles on top of the cheddar cheese then repeat the procedure.
- Top with the 3 remaining noodles and the reserved 1 cup of sauce.
- At this point you can cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- Bake covered for about 45 minutes, uncovered and sprinkle with about 1 cup cheddar cheese.
- Return to oven and bake uncovered for another 10 minutes.
This was a very lovely casserole. So nice and creamy. My whole family thought is was very tasty and would like it a gain. Thanks for posting this recipe.
I use Recipe #278160 for the canned soup and apple juice for the wine. I didn't double the sauce, but made the amounts as written and it was perfect for us. Rave reviews all around the table -- definitely a keeper! Thanks, Kittencal! :D
This is awesome! I have this recipe in my Southern Living cookbook and I use it often. I make my own alfredo sauce and double it. Also, my family doesn't like spinach, so I just omit along with the pimentos. Glad to see someone posted it on here! This recipe made it into our book#179809!