This is a delicious creamy thick soup. I make it quite often, it's a family favorite, I also add in some cayenne pepper, if you are not a lover of garlic you may omit--- It is so filling that I usually just serve it as a main meal with crusty bread on the side, and a salad.
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh garlic
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 4 large baking potatoes, baked, cooled, peeled and cubed
- 4 -6 green onions, chopped
- 12 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper (I use seasoned salt)
- In a large soup pot melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add in garlic; cook stirring for about 2 minutes.
- Add in flour then stir until smooth (about 1 minute).
- Gradually add milk and half and half stirring constantly until thickened and smooth.
- Add potatoes and onions; bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients; stir until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.
This was an easy to make soup and delicious. We made it last winter and was perfect for dinner on a cold evening. Tasted even better when reheated the next day. Looking forward to making it again soon.
OMG this is the best tasting potato soup! It is very easy to make, even for a novice cook like myself. (hehehee) You want to eat more of this soup than you actually can...3/4 of a bowl and you're stuffed. Thank you for posting this recipe...this is my new favorite Fall/Winter meal! : )
Really good! I took another reviewer's advice and used some cream cheese instead of the half and half because I didn't have any. Turned out nice, thick and creamy! Great comfort food!