Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a delicious creamy thick soup. I make it quite often, it's a family favorite, I also add in some cayenne pepper, if you are not a lover of garlic you may omit--- It is so filling that I usually just serve it as a main meal with crusty bread on the side, and a salad.
Top Review by pacer48
This was an easy to make soup and delicious. We made it last winter and was perfect for dinner on a cold evening. Tasted even better when reheated the next day. Looking forward to making it again soon.
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh garlic
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 4 large baking potatoes, baked, cooled, peeled and cubed
- 4 -6 green onions, chopped
- 12 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper (I use seasoned salt)
- In a large soup pot melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add in garlic; cook stirring for about 2 minutes.
- Add in flour then stir until smooth (about 1 minute).
- Gradually add milk and half and half stirring constantly until thickened and smooth.
- Add potatoes and onions; bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients; stir until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.