Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
If you are serving more than 8 pieces of chicken then double the complete recipe.
- 3 tablespoons butter butter
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 chicken thighs
- salt and pepper
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh garlic (can use more)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger (can use more)
- 1 -4 tablespoon curry powder (can use more)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 (28 ounce) canchopped whole tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cashew nuts (roasted or raw)
- 1 cup plain yogurt (use full-fat)
- In a food processor pulse the cashews until a very fine; set aside.
- Heat butter and oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat.
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper then brown on both sides; remove to a plate.
- Add in onions, garlic, ginger and dried pepper flakes; saute until softened (about 4 minutes).
- Add in curry powder and cumin; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add in the chicken pieces back to the pot and toss to coat.
- Add in the tomatoes with juice; bring to a simmer, cover and simmer for about 40 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through, stirring occasionally, season with salt to taste.
- Just before serving, add in the ground cashews along with the yogurt; mix to combine and simmer uncovered over low heat for 4-5 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve with cooked basmati rice or white rice.
My family loved this recipe. I hate when people rate a recipe and then tell how they changed it, but now I'm doing the same thing, so here goes. I used a whole chicken plus 2 more breasts and I used diced tomatoes with seasoning in them. The blend of spices was great and I'm excited to eat the leftovers tonight.
We love Thai curry, so this was a nice and different change for my family. Loved the cashews. I used 10 thighs and it was great! Thanks Kitten!
I made this last night for dinner. Pretty easy and I liked the hint of nuttiness. Thanks for an easy Indian curry Kitten! :)