Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Yummy muffins for the health freak! Got this recipe from the back of a Smart Balance margarine container. Enjoy!
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup flax seed meal
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3 beaten eggs
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 2⁄3 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated raw carrots
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F; spray 24 medium muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, whisking thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, applesauce, softened margarine, and milk. Stir in the crushed pineapple. Add the applesauce mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring just until combined.
- Fold in the grated carrots, nuts and raisins. With a large spoon, fill muffin cups- 3/4 full.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
These are seriously my new favorite muffins (and I make a lot of muffins). They're very light, almost cakelike in consistency, yet are wholesome and full of goodness. Of course they come chock full of healthy things. I think they could use double the walnuts and raisins, though. A