Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
I got this recipe off a wonderful website, and it is sooo delicious. Easy to make and the caramel frosting is unique and different. I hope you all enjoy it!
For the cake
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Caramel Frosting
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 dash salt
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Coat two 9-inch round cake pans with cooking spray, line bottoms with parchment paper. Coat paper with cooking spray and dust with flour.
- Beat sugar and 1/2 cup butter at medium speed until well-blended (about 5 minutes).
- Add eggs and egg white, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt together in a seperate bowl and mix.
- Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with 1 1/4 cups milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla.
- Pour batter into prepared pans, and sharply tap pans once on counter to remove air bubbles. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack and remove from pans. Carefully peel off parchment paper and cool completely on wire rack.
- Combine brown sugar and next 4 ingredients (brown sugar through salt) in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat, and simmer until thick (about 5 minutes), stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Add confectioners' sugar and 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla; beat at medium speed until smooth and slightly warm. Cool 2 to 3 minutes (frosting will be thin but thickens as it cools.
- Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spoon 1/2 cup frosting on to cake layer spreading to cover. Top with remaining cake layer, frost top and sides.