Recipe by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
I was on a quest to make chicken burgers using ground chicken. I found this recipe, and made a few minor revisions. I think they turned out perfect and the family loved them. Source: "How to Make Delicious Breaded Chicken Burgers" http://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/how-to-make-delicious-breaded-chicken-burgers/ I made 5 large chicken burgers and they did not shrink upon cooking.
- 1 lb ground chicken, white meat
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs, pre seasoned
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten, add a splash of water to thin if desired
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs, pre seasoned, may use less
- 2 -3 tablespoons canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl: Add ground chicken, egg, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder together. Add in bread crumbs, milk, gently combine with hands. Set aside.
- In 3 shallow bowls: Bowl 1: beaten egg with water. Bowl 2: seasoned flour with salt & pepper, Bowl 3: seasoned bread crumbs.
- Using 1/3 cup measuring cup as a measuring tool, scoop out your burger portions.
- HINT: I found it was less messy to drop the scoop of meat into the flour, turn it over, lift it out of the flour, then form into patty.
- Coat both sides of chicken patty with flour, dip in egg wash, then pat into the breadcrumbs to coat.
- At this point I placed patties on a platter, covered with plastic wrap and put them in the fridge for 1-2 hours. This step is not necessary but can be done ahead of time. It will allow the flavors to develop.
- Panfry in (4 Tablespoons) cooking oil for about 4 minutes on each side. *add a little oil at a time, add more when you flip the chicken if necessary. Add more cooking time if your burgers are plump. Do not over cook or they will dry out.
- Serving suggestions: on soft buns with sliced dill pickles, mayonaise, honey mustard or spicy , tomato slices and lettuce or whatever you like.