This dish has been served every year at my holiday dinner table, I double the recipe and sometimes even triple depending on how many people I have at my table, there is never anything left and I always receive rave reviews all around! --- two small cloves fresh minced garlic may also be added in and sauteed for one minute in butter before adding in the flour--- you will also find this recipe on my food blog http://kittencalskitchen.com/2009/09/15/blue-cheese-broccoli-bake/
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup blue cheese, crumbled (for a milder blue cheese flavor reduce to 1/4 cup)
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup half-and-half
- fresh ground black pepper (optional and to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups Ritz cracker crumbs
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Grease a medium casserole dish.
- Steam broccoli florets until firm-tender (about 2-3 minutes) drain well then pat dry with paper towels.
- In a large saucepan melt 2 tbsp butter over med-low heat; add in flour and stir for 1 minute.
- Add cream cheese, blue cheese and milk; stir over low heat until melted and smooth, then add/stir in broccoli.
- Mix 6 tbsp melted butter with the cracker crumbs until well combined.
- Stir in 1 cup cracker mixture into the broccoli mixture.
- Season with black pepper if desired.
- Pour mixture into a casserole dish.
- Cover with foil or a lid and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven then sprinkle the top with remaining cracker crumbs.
- Return to oven and bake uncovered for another 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.