Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
These biscuits rise lovely and taste wonderful --- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese may be added into the flour mixture before adding the beer, yield is only esimated.
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup beer (use a light coloured beer)
- In a large bowl sift all dry ingredients together.
- Using a pastry cutter cut in shortening until cornmeal consistancy, then stir in beer.
- Knead lightly, then gather into a large shaped ball and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 1 or more hours before forming dough.
- Pat the dough into about 1-1/2-inch thickness.
- Cut out with biscuit cutter.
- Place on lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Set oven to 450 degrees F.
- Bake for 10-12 mins, or until golden brown.
- Serve warm.
As usual very nice recipe Kitten, I wanted to try something differant for DH and this was it, I wasn't disappointedd. Very light, flakey biscuit that went well with butter and my canned blackberry jam. I used butter flavore Crisco for the shorting and that worke well. Just made the hour long refrigeration and glad I did as it gave the yeast in the beer time to rise. We all enjoyed this and will be making again.
These biscuits were excellent! I made one substitution, which was butter instead of shortening. I also, shortened the hour long refrigeration time to 30 minutes, because I had a hungry husband on my hands. They were very light and fluffy, and rose perfectly. These will be made all the time in our house, especially when I make Red Eye Gravy. Thanks!!!
WoW! These biscuits were the best biscuits we have every had. I fell in love with them the second I took a bite. I told my Dh that he was going to love these and sure enough he said " Your absolutely right! they are Great!" I only got 5 biscuits but I know it was cause I used my large biscuit cutter ring. I fellowed the directions as stated and it was perfect! Serve these with Kittencal's Salisbury Steak With Mushrooms and Onion Gravy and My Cream Potatoes What a fabulous meal! Thanks for sharing this delicious recipe! It's going straight into my favorite recipe zaar cookbook. :)