Prep 40 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
I found this recipe in an issue of Taste of Home. I have tried many other recipes for beef stew, but my family thinks that this one is the very best. I hope you like it too.
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 -2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 cup sliced celery, cut into 1 inch pieces
- In a Dutch oven, brown the beef in the oil.
- Drain and then return all the meat to the pan.
- Add the onion, tomatoes, beef broth, tapioca, garlic, parsley, salt, pepper, and the bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil and then remove from the heat.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir in carrots, potatoes, and celery.
- Bake, covered, 1 hour longer or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.