Recipe by JoyfulCook
A delicious blend of spices. Sri lankan curry powder is so different to the 'run of the mill' and is usually made from roasted spices! which makes it so unique. This curry is not too hot allowing you to taste the great flavours. This recipe is from Charmaine Solomon's recipe book "The Curry Cookbook"
- 1 1⁄2 kg steak, stewing
- 2 tablespoons oil, peanut
- 2 onions, brown
- 1 tablespoon ginger, fresh grated
- 3 teaspoons garlic, fresh
- 3 tablespoons curry powder, Sri Lankan
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 chilies, Large fresh red
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice steak and cut up the onions into small dice, grate ginger and crush the garlic Heat oil in a large saucepan and gently fry Onions, Ginger and garlic until soft. Add curry powder, turmeric and mustard seeds and continue cooking for a couple more minutes.
- Add salt and vinegar and stir well, add the meat stirring to make sure that its coated. Add the diced chilli and chopped tomatoes to the saucepan, cover and simmer on a low heat for 1 1/2 hours, dont be tempted to add any water or stock as this simmers there is plenty of juice. Thicken if you dont want to reduce the curry.
- Serve with Basmati rice and side dishes.
- N.B if you cant buy roasted curry powder here is a great recipe for it - and it keeps well. Recipe #219725.