Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Excellent taste with the pop added.
- 1 (12 ounce) can cola
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 broiler (3 pounds each) or 2 fryer chickens, cut in half (3 pounds each)
- In a small saucepan, combine the cola, tomato paste, onion, wine or vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Set aside 1/2 cup for basting; cover and refrigerate.
- Carefully loosen the skin of the chicken; brush remaining sauce under skin. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Using long-handled tongs, dip a paper towel in cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack.
- Place chicken over drip pan and grill, uncovered, over indirect medium heat for 25 minutes on each side or until chicken juices run clear, basting occasionally with reserved sauce.