1/3 Photos of Delicious Barley Casserole
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This is a nice change to have in place of rice, regular barley will need a longer cooking time, try to use pearly barley
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup butter (or 2 tablespoons each butter and olive oil)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups pearl barley
- 3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- salt and pepper (optional and to taste)
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2In a large frypan saute the onions in butter over medium heat until just light golden brown (about 8 minutes).
- 3Add in mushrooms and garlic and saute for another 5-7 minutes more.
- 4Add in barley; saute until lightly browned (this should take about 7-8 minutes).
- 5Add in 2 cups broth and pepper to taste (no need to add salt as the stock has added salt) bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat.
- 6Transfer to a large greased casserole dish.
- 7Bake for about 45 minutes.
- 8Remove from oven,add in remaining 1 cup broth.
- 9Return to oven and bake for 30 minutes more.
- 10Add more liquid if the mixture becomes too dry.
- 11Garnish with chopped parsley if desired Note: grated Parmesan cheese or grated cheddar cheese may be mixed in to the warm casserole after baking if desired, also the recipe may be prepared on top of the stove in a large saute pan, instead of baking in the oven if desired.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Delicious Barley Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (386 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 433.9
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 665.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.1 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 13.6 g