Recipe by ChipotleChick
My mom's recipe, it is LOVED by all! You can also add browned hamburger to the sauce to make it meatier!
Top Review by Lucky Clover
I modified this recipe based on what ingredients I had, and it was delish! Instead of ziti, I used campanelle, and instead of sausage, I used shredded chicken. I also changed it to half ricotta and half sour cream and added sauteed spinach. Thank you for sharing.
- 1 box ziti pasta
- 1 (16 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 can mushroom
- 1 1⁄2 jars pasta sauce
- 4 hot Italian sausages or 4 mild Italian sausages, cooked and sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Simmer the pasta sauce and sausage in a small saucepan on the lowest heat possible for simmering.
- In the meantime, cook the pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, whip together ricotta, mushroom, egg, and parsley in a medium bowl.
- When pasta is done, drain.
- In a 9 by 9-ish deep casserole, spread about 1/2 cup of the pasta sauce/sausage mixture.
- Layer on half of the ziti.
- Put about 5 or 6 evenly spaced spoonfulls of ricotta on top of the ziti.
- put on half remaining sauce.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of the mozzarella on the sauce.
- Layer on remaining ziti.
- Put remaining ricotta on as directed above.
- Put on the rest of the sauce, and top off with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes, or until cheese is browned and casserole is heated through.
- Let stand a few minutes before serving, if you can!