Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
A family favorite, you may increase the cheese amounts if desired I also add in cayenne pepper to the creamed mixture.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (or to taste)
- 2 cups light cream
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste (I use seasoned salt)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup grated gruyere cheese or 3⁄4 cup swiss cheese, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease a 9-inch square baking dish.
- Heat butter in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add in onions, mushrooms and the garlic; stir until softened (about 4 minutes).
- Whisk in the flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg, whisk for 2 minutes.
- Gradually add in the cream, continue whisking until thick and until the mixture reaches a light boil, remove from heat then mix in 1/4 cup grated Gruyere or Swiss cheese, stir until cheese melts, (taste for extra seasoning).
- In the prepared casserole or baking dish spread half of the spinach, then top the spinach with 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese; then cover with half of the mushroom/cream sauce, then repeat.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup grated Gruyere or Swiss cheese.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.