A family favorite, you may increase the cheese amounts if desired I also add in cayenne pepper to the creamed mixture.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (or to taste)
- 2 cups light cream
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste (I use seasoned salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup grated gruyere cheese or 3/4 cup swiss cheese, divided
- 1Set oven to 325 degrees F.
- 2Grease a 9-inch square baking dish.
- 3Heat butter in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- 4Add in onions, mushrooms and the garlic; stir until softened (about 4 minutes).
- 5Whisk in the flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg, whisk for 2 minutes.
- 6Gradually add in the cream, continue whisking until thick and until the mixture reaches a light boil, remove from heat then mix in 1/4 cup grated Gruyere or Swiss cheese, stir until cheese melts, (taste for extra seasoning).
- 7In the prepared casserole or baking dish spread half of the spinach, then top the spinach with 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese; then cover with half of the mushroom/cream sauce, then repeat.
- 8Sprinkle with 1/2 cup grated Gruyere or Swiss cheese.
- 9Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Delicious Baked Spinach-Cheese Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (267 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 359.5
- Calories from Fat 267
- Total Fat 29.6 g
- Saturated Fat 18.1 g
- Cholesterol 91.6 mg
- Sodium 662.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 13.7 g