Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A family favorite, you may increase the cheese amounts if desired I also add in cayenne pepper to the creamed mixture.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (or to taste)
- 2 cups light cream
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste (I use seasoned salt)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup grated gruyere cheese or 3⁄4 cup swiss cheese, divided
- Set oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease a 9-inch square baking dish.
- Heat butter in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add in onions, mushrooms and the garlic; stir until softened (about 4 minutes).
- Whisk in the flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg, whisk for 2 minutes.
- Gradually add in the cream, continue whisking until thick and until the mixture reaches a light boil, remove from heat then mix in 1/4 cup grated Gruyere or Swiss cheese, stir until cheese melts, (taste for extra seasoning).
- In the prepared casserole or baking dish spread half of the spinach, then top the spinach with 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese; then cover with half of the mushroom/cream sauce, then repeat.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup grated Gruyere or Swiss cheese.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
FANTASTIC!!! TRUE! SO E-X-C-I-T-E_D- NOT to see egg in it too! SIMPLE and EASY to make! Nice and healthy for my friend's and family sake! THANKS!
another winner kitten!!! loved it, made it as a later night snack because i am always looking for a yummy lunch with little work, and this will be gone tomorrow. but the part i had today oh so good.
Everyone thought the recipe was great. Next time, I may add boiled chopped eggs to the layers, since my husband's favorite spinach recipe calls for eggs.