Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This has been a family favorite for years, it's an easy recipe that may also be made in an electric skillet instead of the oven, I have made this using cubed pork in place of the pork steaks/chops, and you can also make this using chicken pieces, see Kittencal's Asian-Glazed Baked Chicken the pork steaks can be browned in a skillet first if desired for extra flavor, use only low-sodium soy sauce for this, serve with cooked rice
Top Review by StacL
Very good recipe. The sauce was great, but I found the meat didn't absorb the flavor. I think the pork would benefit from marinating in the sauce for at least 24 hours prior to cooking.
- 6 pork steaks (or use 6-8 center-cut pork chops about 3/4-1-inch thick)
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup Heinz Chili Sauce (use mild chili sauce)
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 3⁄4 cup low sodium soy sauce (use only low-sodium soy sauce)
- cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Season both sides of the pork steaks or chops with a small amount of black pepper, then place in the baking dish.
- In a bowl stir together brown sugar with cornstarch and ginger, ketchup, chili sauce, garlic and soy sauce.
- Pour the mixture over the pork; toss with hands to make certain that the pork is coated with sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1-1/2 hours or until pork is tender (pork chops may need a little less time to bake).
- Serve with cooked rice.