A delicious and easy to make salad, I sometimes add in a tablespoon of peanut butter to the dressing, plan ahead the dressing must refrigerate for a couple of hours in advance to blend flavors, it may be doubled if desired -- the salad may be prepared in advance but do not add in the dressing or orange segments until just before serving, prep time does not include cooking the chicken, all amounts may be adjusted to taste :)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons canned mandarin juice
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 3 -4 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 small romaine lettuce, torn in pieces (or use a iceberg lettuce, chopped)
- 4 cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts (shredded or chopped)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup coarsely grated carrot
- 2 cups dry chow mein noodles (can use more or less)
- 1⁄3 cup toasted slivered almonds or 1⁄3 cup chopped peanuts
- canned mandarin oranges (drained, reserve 2 teaspoons juice for the dressing)
- Mix all dressing ingredients until well combined; refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour.
- In a large bowl combine the lettuce with chicken, green onions, dry noodles, carrot and slivered almonds or chopped peanuts; mix to combine.
- Pour on the dressing; toss to combine.
- Top with mandarin orange segments.
- Serve immediately.