Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A delicious and easy to make salad, I sometimes add in a tablespoon of peanut butter to the dressing, plan ahead the dressing must refrigerate for a couple of hours in advance to blend flavors, it may be doubled if desired -- the salad may be prepared in advance but do not add in the dressing or orange segments until just before serving, prep time does not include cooking the chicken, all amounts may be adjusted to taste :)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons canned mandarin juice
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 3 -4 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 small romaine lettuce, torn in pieces (or use a iceberg lettuce, chopped)
- 4 cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts (shredded or chopped)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup coarsely grated carrot
- 2 cups dry chow mein noodles (can use more or less)
- 1⁄3 cup toasted slivered almonds or 1⁄3 cup chopped peanuts
- canned mandarin oranges (drained, reserve 2 teaspoons juice for the dressing)
- Mix all dressing ingredients until well combined; refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour.
- In a large bowl combine the lettuce with chicken, green onions, dry noodles, carrot and slivered almonds or chopped peanuts; mix to combine.
- Pour on the dressing; toss to combine.
- Top with mandarin orange segments.
- Serve immediately.
My 12 year old son and I loved this. Unfortunately, the rest of my family wasn't in agreement. My 14 year old daughter liked the salad but not the dressing. My husband said it was all right and my two younger boys picked the oranges out the salad. This why I'm giving it only 4 stars. My son and I often have it for lunch especially when there's left over chicken!
I made this the other night and it was fantastic, the only thing I might try different is to use regular vinegar vs apple cider. I used a recipe with apple cider vinegar for sweet mac and didn't like that either, so maybe that was the too strong taste in the dressing! Either way, it was great!
Very good! Thank you. And the dressing was delish once it had some time to sit :) A